June 09, 2005
20 cult films you should have seen
Protein Wisdom offers his "fifth set of 20 films that if you haven't seen you should see immediately or risk having protein wisdom sneer at you like certain embarrassingly reactionary rightwing blogs sneer at homosexuals and minorities of all stripes."
My Alphaville related post suggested there are at least twenty cult films you should see immediately. Comments suggesting obvious "cult" films risk mockery.
1. Alphaville... for the Kylie Minogue reference.
2. Dark Water... one of the scariest.
3. Black Lizard... for Mishima Yukio.
4. Nomads... for Dr. Benway.
5. Hawk the Slayer... because Jack Palance is God.
6. Modern Vampires... for the flossing.
7. Heroic Trio... for the theme music.
8. The Changeling... for the ball on the staircase.
9. Meet the Feebles... because I am the fly.
10. Les Yeux Sans Visage... for the beauty tips.
11. A Chinese Ghost Story... for the 1000-year tree demon.
12. The Star Wars Holiday Special... for Bea Arthur.
13. Horror Express... for the anthropology.
14. The Believers... for the spiders.
15. Suspiria... for the razor-wire.
16. Andy Warhol's Frankenstein... for the gall bladder.
17. The Keep... for Tangerine Dream.
18. Braindead/Dead Alive... for the lawnmower.
19. Tetsuo... soon the whole world will be made of metal!
20. Irma Vep... my favourite film.
Posted by Ghost of a flea at June 9, 2005 06:57 AM
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 20 cult films you should have seen:
? Film lists ain't me, that's for sure from Quotulatiousness
Over at Ghost of a Flea, Nick is listing some cult films. He is responding to a post on Protein Wisdom which claims: [. . .] if you haven't seen you should see immediately or risk having protein wisdom sneer... [Read More]
Tracked on June 9, 2005 01:49 PM
Comments suggesting "cult" movies will be mocked. Off-topic comments will be deleted.
Posted by: Ghost of a flea at June 9, 2005 09:10 AM
wow. i haven't seen a single one of those movies. and i thought i was maybe a little tiny bit cool, but apparently, not in the least!
Posted by: mainja at June 9, 2005 05:26 PM
Seems like the list is all horror (yes the SW special is horror) - I've always been partial to Phantom of the Paradise, Repo Man, and Teen Witch when it comes to cultfilm.
Mainja: trust me, Hawk the Slayer is in no sense a cool movie!
Shelton: quite right, I have a horror bias. My next list is less horrorish. Also, Phantom of the Paradise is a work of genius and I cannot believe I had forgotten it.
Posted by: Ghost of a flea at June 9, 2005 07:57 PM
Tetsuo: The Iron Man. Brilliant film. Sat throught its Toronto Film Fest Midnight Madness premiere with a buddy giggling manically.
Posted by: rick mcginnis at June 9, 2005 10:37 PM
Until a few seconds ago I had forgotten the horror of Bea Arthur and the SW Holiday Special. Now I have to go face breakfast with that vision in my mind...
Posted by: FredKiesche at June 13, 2005 07:30 AM